Wed 24
Under 11's - Warriors
Nailsea Utd JFC
Warriors unlucky not to take all the points!!!

Warriors unlucky not to take all the points!!!

By Darren Draper

U11's Ghana

What a belter this game was , it had everything - great football, skills, entertainment, passion, fight, character and not forgetting the few late challenges from Nailsea near the end as the Warriors frustrated the league winners (next season it matters lads).

With a record crowd of at least 30-50 people looking on including the managers from the older age groups at Winscombe (who all told me how pleased they were with the standard of football that the Warriors played). To be fair the whole game lacked shots and both the Nailsea keeper and Jamie Draper protecting the Warriors area had little to do in ways of save. Ben Osmond and Josh Moon came agonizingly close of scoring within minutes of each other, Osmond went on a jinky run through 3 Nailsea players and slotted it calmly past the on rushing Nailsea keeper only to see it trickle slowly past the other side of the right post and out for a goal kick. Within minutes the ball got swung over deep from the right wing and Moon who has been known to throw himself towards a diving header now again was inches from putting the Warriors in front but again in narrowly brushed the other side of the left post this time.

This woke Nailsea who haven't been beaten in the spring league and with about 5 minutes left in the first half got a free kick just outside the Warriors box. The shot was heading straight for Drapers solid glove before it took a wicked bounce and went over him to give Nailsea a 0-1 lead at half time. Changes were made by the tactic magicians Dan Burnett and Stu Leaney and the lads were gunning for an equaliser. It finally came with 5 minutes left as a stray back pass went towards the keeper , the ball to bobbled over his foot as he attempted to kick it away and nestled itself in the net. The Warriors stepped up and Osmond came close again, they piled wave after wave of attacks on Nailsea. But they became frustrated with the Warriors and the tackles came flying in on Francis Campbell as he made his way towards goal, then on Charlie Phippen in the middle of the park who'd been solid all game and finally on Jamie Burnett who almost got snapped in half as he made his way into the Nailsea half.

The game ended 1-1. The lads can hold heads high and walk tall. They all fought with pride and character and are a credit to us and themselves...

Match details

Match date

Wed 24, Apr 2019



Meet time